So school is back for all kids in the UK now which officially means summer is over. Boo!! Thankfully the weather is still pretty mild here but that means my fussy eater is still shouting for ice cream and popsicles as a post-nursery snack. I made some Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Bark earlier in the summer but this time I wanted to experiment with a lower sugar recipe.
Fage very kindly sent us some vouchers to create kid-friendly recipes and artistic creations with their Greek Yogurt and new Fruyo pots. I chose the Classic Total Greek Yogurt for this recipe. I buy this a lot as it has one of the lowest sugar contents I can find in the supermarkets. Obviously it is unsweetened so for kids you may need to add something sweet to it to make it a little more appealing to younger palates. But personally I prefer to add my own natural sweeteners like honey or good quality maple syrup rather than having the refined white stuff pre-added.
My fussy eater and I had a lot of fun making this Frozen Yogurt Bark. She chose the toppings (no surprise there considering there is chocolate involved!) but I was able to sneak some raisins and cranberries into the mixture! Almost any type of dried fruit and nuts would work in this recipe and fresh berries are also perfect for decorating the top as they freeze well.
- Yogurt Bark:
- 500g / 2 cups greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cranberries
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 5 fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Mix the yogurt and honey together until well combined. Add the cranberries and raisins and stir again.
- Line a baking tray with foil and pour the yogurt mixture on top. Spread it depending on how thick or thin you want your bark to be. Mine was approx ½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle the strawberries, chocolate chips and desiccated coconut on top and place in the freezer for 2-4 hours or until it is completely frozen.
- Remove from the freezer and use a sharp knife to break the bark into pieces. The bark can be stored in the freezer in food bags.
If you liked this recipe you may also like these recipes: