My Orange Creamsicle is a deliciously creamy and healthy orange frozen yogurt recipe. A great snack or dessert for kids!
It must have been about 1991 or 1992 on our first family holiday abroad in the sun that I saw ice cream being served in orange and lemon skins.
For me that was the absolute height of sophistication and the memory of being so encharmed by this idea has stayed with me ever since.
a few many years and I’m now using this same trick with my kids!
It’s a fun and quirky way to serve frozen yogurt but I also think it makes a good connection between the flavours of food that they are eating and the fresh produce that it comes from.
Children very often will turn their nose up at an orange but will quite happily chomp on orange flavoured snacks and desserts. So this is a fun way of making that association.
I am a massive fan of homemade frozen yogurt. It’s so easy to make with just a couple of simple ingredients and is much lower in sugar than ice cream.
I always use full fat greek yogurt as its super creamy but also higher in protein than regular yogurt which will help keep little bellies fuller for longer!
If you liked my Orange Creamsicle recipe, then please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
A deliciously creamy and healthy orange frozen yogurt recipe. A great snack or dessert for kids!
- 2 oranges
- 500g / 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- optional: honey or maple syrup to sweeten
- Cut the oranges in half and squeeze out the juice into a large bowl. Add the greek yogurt, vanilla and sweetener (if using) to the juice and mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer proof dish or container. I used a standard loaf tin but a plastic container will work fine too.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight until the yogurt is solid. The orange halves will keep in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
- Remove the frozen yogurt from the freezer about half an hour before you want to use it. Allow it to defrost slightly before scooping into the orange halves.
If you liked this recipe you may also like these other frozen yogurt recipes:
Frozen Yogurt Bark – Snack time just got exciting with this recipe for energy boosting Frozen Yogurt Bark; greek yogurt sweetened with honey and topped with chocolate chips, strawberries and coconut!
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Bites – Snack time just got exciting with this recipe for energy boosting Frozen Yogurt Bark; greek yogurt sweetened with honey and topped with chocolate chips, strawberries and coconut!