A delicious and comforting Roasted Tomato and Red Pesto Soup, super easy to make and served with Cheddar Cheese Soldiers.
It’s probably fair to say that we had a very indulgent Christmas. There was more chocolate consumed than anything else and fruits and veggies were fairly few and far between, oops!
But this month we’re all back on the healthy eating wagon! And I’ve got lots of new and super nutritious recipes to share.
First up is my super comforting Roasted Tomato and Red Pesto Soup recipe. This soup is so easy to prepare. The vegetables are roasted in the oven and then blitzed together with some stock and pesto in a blender. So no boiling on the hob required!
I left the skins on the tomatoes as my I know that my blender (this Froothie Optimum 9400 which I love love love!) will break them down no problem and still leave a super smooth soup.
If however you think your blender won’t be able to do this, or you are using a stick blender, you can easily remove the skins after roasting.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Chicken Zoodle Noodle Soup – Warm and comforting, this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe has added courgette noodles (zoodles!) for an extra hit of nutritious veg!
Beetroot & Carrot Soup With Feta Cheese – A delicious and vibrant kid-friendly soup made with raw beetroot, carrot and potatoes, garnished with creme fraiche and crumbled feta cheese.
Fresh Green Spinach & Pea Soup – A delicious and easy Fresh Green Spinach & Pea Soup that’s packed with nutritious veggies and also budget-friendly too.
PRE-ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out 26th January. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!Print
A delicious and comforting Roasted Tomato Soup, super easy to make and served with Cheddar Cheese Soldiers.
- 1.2kg / 2.6lbs tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml / 0.5 pint vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f.
- Divide the tomatoes, onion and garlic between two baking trays. Add the dried oregano and olive oil and mix well.
- Place the trays in the oven for 30 minutes, turning the tomatoes once.
- Remove the trays from the oven and allow the tomatoes to cool slightly. If you want to remove the skins you can do it now.
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender and add the vegetable stock, red pesto and fresh basil. You can do this in two batches if your blender is not big enough or in a saucepan or large bowl if you are using a stick blender.
- Blitz until you get a lovely smooth soup, adding more stock if it is too thick.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For more delicious soup ideas try these recipes: