A delicious and easy Fresh Green Spinach & Pea Soup to celebrate National Soup Month with the Clangers
Did you know that January is National Soup Month? It’s the perfect time of year to get experimenting with new recipes that are packed with nutritious veggies and also budget-friendly too.
I’ve teamed up with the Clangers who are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. The Clangers are a family of pink, long-nosed, inventive and inquisitive mouse-shaped creatures who live on a little blue plant, out in the starry stretches of space not far from our world.
As part of the celebrations BBC Good Food have created this delicious Fresh Green Soup inspired by the Clangers’ Soup Dragon, who lives underground in the volcanic-like Soup Wells making up batches of the soup that is the staple of the Clangers’ diet! A new range of Soup Dragon gifts are available to buy from the Clangers Shop.
This Fresh Green Soup is so easy to make and you only need a handful of simple ingredients:
- spring onions,
- vegetable stock,
- frozen peas,
- spinach; and
There may be some ingredients in that list that you think your child would never eat but the soup, once cooked, gets blended up until it is completely smooth; no bits!
And of course the fact that the soup recipe is inspired by the Soup Dragon helps too.
You can serve the soup as it is or else reserve some of the peas and add them to the top with basil, herbs or even some cress.
For a light lunch I like to serve the soup with some croutons or for a more hearty meal add some crusty bread. Delicious!
As part of their 50th anniversary celebrations, Clangers sent me a hamper of fun gifts from the Clangers Shop for the children to enjoy.
I also have a second hamper to giveaway. I’l be launching the competition tomorrow (21st January 2019) on Instagram until 28th January 2019. All you need to do is head on over to the Clangers Shop and let me know which product is your favourite.
And if you try this recipe please let me know what you think in the comments below!
Disclosure: I have been compensated for my time spent working on this campaign but all thoughts and opinions are honest and are my own.Print
A delicious and easy fresh green Spinach & Pea Soup to celebrate National Soup Month with the Clangers
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 250g frozen peas
- 100g fresh spinach
- 300ml natural yogurt
- a few mint leaves, basil leaves or cress to top
- Put the spring onions, potato and garlic in a large pan. Add a vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add a lid to the pan and cook on low for 15 minutes until the potato has cooked.
- Add the peas and bring the mixture back up to a simmer. Scoop out around 4 tablespoons of the peas and set aside to add to the top of the soup later.
- Stir in the spinach and yogurt and then blitz the soup until smooth. You can use a stand or hand blender.
- Season with a little black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and add some of the reserved peas to the top.
- Serve with some croutons or crusty bread.