A delicious and comforting Roasted Tomato Soup, super easy to make and served with Cheddar Cheese Soldiers.
- 1.2kg / 2.6lbs tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml / 0.5 pint vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f.
- Divide the tomatoes, onion and garlic between two baking trays. Add the dried oregano and olive oil and mix well.
- Place the trays in the oven for 30 minutes, turning the tomatoes once.
- Remove the trays from the oven and allow the tomatoes to cool slightly. If you want to remove the skins you can do it now.
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender and add the vegetable stock, red pesto and fresh basil. You can do this in two batches if your blender is not big enough or in a saucepan or large bowl if you are using a stick blender.
- Blitz until you get a lovely smooth soup, adding more stock if it is too thick.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.