Use up leftover ham from your Sunday roast to make this delicious and healthy Ham and Egg Noodle Soup. A quick and easy meal idea for a Monday!
Uch, Monday again! But if you’ve got the beginning of the week blues then fear not as I have just the recipe to kick start your week and make today’s evening meal quick, easy and oh so comforting!
Mondays are usually leftovers night in my house, using up any extra meat or vegetables that have been cooked but not eaten over the weekend. And when we have leftover ham my favourite recipe to make is Ham & Egg Noodle Soup.
This soup is super speedy to whip up which also makes it great for evenings when you need to get a meal on the table fast. With a good balance of protein and carbs it is also a substantial soup, helping to nourish your family at the end of a busy day. I used carrots, celery and red pepper in my recipe but you can adapt it using any vegetables you like.
This soup also works well with leftover chicken or leave the meat out entirely to make it vegetarian friendly.
If you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures!Print
Use up leftover ham from your Sunday Roast to make this delicious and healthy Ham, Egg & Noodle Soup. A quick and easy meal idea for a Monday!
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 litres / 70 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 medium eggs
- 250g / 9 oz cooked ham
- 100g / 3.5 oz dried egg noodles
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Place the carrots, celery, red pepper and garlic in a large saucepan. Add the stock and dried herbs and bring to the boil. Simmer on a low heat for approximately 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile place the eggs in a pan of boiling water and cook on a medium heat for 6 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before peeling and cutting them in half.
- Add the cooked ham, egg noodles and spring onions to the soup and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the noodles have cooked through.
- Using tongs divide the ham, vegetables and noodles between 4 bowls. Use a ladle to spoon over some broth and finally add a halved egg to each bowl.
- Serve immediately.