A delicious and kid-friendly Baked Cheese & Tomato Risotto recipe, cooked in the oven to make it super easy!
When it comes to comfort food you can’t beat a delicious and warming risotto. There’s nothing better than a big bowl of steaming creamy rice when its cold and wet outside. But as much as I love risotto it can be a bit of a pain to make. Standing over the stove, constantly adding in stock and stirring is just not feasible most evenings so instead I use my cheat’s recipe to make this delicious baked risotto instead.
My recipe is very basic, using the classic combo of roasted onions, garlic and tomatoes for flavour and then grated cheddar cheese to add creaminess and a slightly sharp taste. It’s a winner with the kids as it is simple but really delicious and super filling aswell.
Once the cherry tomatoes have roasted in the oven, you can either keep them whole when adding the rice and stock, or else gently mash them to break them down. I prefer to mash them as it releases so much of that delicious flavour and also the kids don’t then complain about whole tomatoes in their food!
I imagine that most Italians would be horrified by a baked risotto recipe but for me it’s much easier to bung it all in the oven rather than slave over a hot stove!
If you try my baked risotto please do let me know what you think. And tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I love seeing all your pictures of the recipes you and your family have been enjoying.
A delicious and kid-friendly Cheese & Tomato Risotto recipe, cooked in the oven to make it super easy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 250g / 2 & 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 200g / 7oz risotto rice
- 600ml / 2 & 1/2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 75g / 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f
- Add the olive oil, onions, garlic and tomatoes to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes the tomatoes will be nicely roasted. You can either leave them whole or else gently mash them to break them down.
- Add the risotto rice and vegetable stock to the dish and return to the oven for 20 minutes, stirring twice. The stock should all be absorbed by now and the rice cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the grated cheese and chives.
- Serve immediately with some cooked greens or a side salad.
If you liked this recipe you may also like my Leftover Chicken Risotto recipe: