These Mac n Cheese Muffins (with peas!) are the perfect addition to a kids’ lunchbox
It’s been an emotional couple of days as my fussy eater started school yesterday. Watching her head into her new classroom in her oversized school uniform (why do we buy them one size too big every time?!!) was a very surreal moment for me and I just can’t believe she’s already at that stage in her life 🙁
She is only attending school for half days for the next three weeks but after that we’re going to be thrown into the battleground that is lunch! She is entitled to free school meals for the next couple of years but for various reasons I think we are going to proceed with a combination of school meals and packed lunches.
So in anticipation of what’s to come I made these Macaroni Cheese Muffins perfect for lunchboxes!
This is pretty much just a classic Mac n Cheese recipe with peas added for a few extra nutrients! It will seem like there is a lot of sauce but once the muffins have cooled the sauce will solidify and help to keep the muffins super moist.Print
These Mac n Cheese Muffins are the perfect addition to a kids’ lunchbox
- 200g / 7 oz macaroni pasta
- 30g / 1 oz butter
- 30g / 1/4 cup plain flour
- 500ml / 2 cups milk
- 100g / 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100g / 1 & 1/4 cups grated cheddar, plus extra to top
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Place the macaroni in a pan of boiling water and cook on the hob as per the package instructions.
- In a separate large saucepan melt the butter then add in the flour and stir until combined. Slowly pour in the milk and whisk until it the lumps start to break down. Cook the sauce for 4-5 minutes until thickened, whisking regularly. Add the cheese and remove from the heat.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the cheese sauce along with the frozen peas. Season to taste.
- Grease a muffin tin with a little butter or spray oil and spoon in the macaroni cheese. Top with some extra cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once the macaroni cheese muffins have been baked, allow them to cool before attempting to remove them from the muffin tins or they will fall apart.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. The muffins can be eaten cold or reheated in the microwave or oven.