A delicious and easy banana bread recipe flavoured with orange and chocolate chips. This recipe is also a bit healthier using honey instead of refined sugar.
Right now outside it’s snowing… proper road-closing school-shutting snow! With nowhere to go and not much to do I’ve spent the last couple of days doing a lot of baking!
And nothing says a snow day like a delicious and warming slice of banana bread!
My recipe for Strawberry Banana Bread has been really popular for a while now but I fancied changing up the flavours a little.
I had some oranges that needed to be eaten along with a packet of chocolate chips in the cupboard so I decided to try out a chocolate orange version instead… and I wasn’t disappointed!
Tips for making Banana Bread
My recipe for this banana bread is refined sugar free, instead using the natural sweetness of the bananas and also some honey to sweeten it. This is why it’s best to use very ripe bananas. The ones I used in this recipe were almost black… the riper the better in my opinion!
This is a great recipe to make with the kids as it’s relatively simple to make, using just two bowls and no special equipment as everything is mixed by hand.
It will also keep for up to 48 hours in an airtight tin (to be completely honest with you it probably won’t last that long!).
It can also be sliced and kept in the freezer. It makes a really delicious and filling afternoon snack and is perfect to pop to into school lunch boxes for a sweet treat.
If you try my recipe please come back and let me know what you think in the comments. I’ve also been getting so many messages and tags on Instagram from you guys making my recipes. Please keep sending me the pictures. Its always the highlight of my day to see them!Print
- 275g / 1.75 cups plain or all purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 75g / 0.3 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 70g / 0.3 cup honey
- 50g / 0.25 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 orange
- 75g /0.5 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f. Grease and line a 2lb baking tin with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder to a large bowl and mix with a spoon.
- In another bowl add the mashed banana, coconut oil or butter, honey, yogurt, egg and vanilla extract and mix well with a spoon.
- Add the zest and juice of the whole orange and mix again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon just enough until all the ingredients have combined.
- Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove, cover loosely with tin foil (this will stop the top of the bread getting too brown) and then return to the oven for another 20-25 minutes until the bread is cooked through and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Once the loaf has cooked, remove it from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
This bread will keep in an airtight tin for up to 48 hours. It can also be sliced and frozen and defrosted at room temperature.
If you liked this recipe you may also enjoy: