A delicious lasagne recipe made with chicken mince and packed with vegetables. Healthy family friendly comfort food at it’s best!
Have you ever had a recipe in your mind for months before you actually get round to making it? Well this is one of those! I’d roughly planned out a chicken lasagne recipe in my head months ago but only last week did it actually come to fruition.
And I have to say… it was worth the wait!
What Is Chicken Mince?
My recipe for Chicken Lasagne uses chicken mince rather than beef mince so it’s perfect if you’re trying to cut down or you just don’t eat red meat. Chicken mince is also lower in fat than beef mince so it’s ideal if you are being mindful of what you are eating.
I used Heck Simply Chicken Mince in my recipe. They also sell chicken mince online at places like Muscle Food or you can ask your local butcher to mince some chicken breast for you.
If you are unable to get your hands on any then turkey mince will work too.
How To Make Chicken Lasagne
Making my Chicken Lasagne recipe is pretty much the same as a normal lasagne. I fried onions, garlic, carrots, celery and courgette before adding the mince and frying it off.
Next goes in the sauce ingredients and the mixture is left to simmer for 20 minutes.
That then gets layered in an oven dish with lasagne sheets, before adding my Cheat’s White Sauce and cheese.
Cheat’s Lasagne White Sauce
As much as we all love lasagne it can be off-putting cooking it often due to the sheer amount of washing up afterwards!
Instead of making up a white sauce in a saucepan I simply mix creme fraiche and milk together for an instant white sauce that’s poured on top of the assembled lasange. So easy!
Then the last step is to the top the lasagne with cheese. I use both cheddar and parmesan for a delicious crispy topping.
The end result is a beautiful tasty lasagne that’s a little healthier than the normal version and also packed with veggies. Perfect for the fussy eaters in your life!
If you liked this recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
A delicious lasagne recipe made with chicken mince and packed with vegetables. Healthy comfort food at it’s best!
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 small courgette
- 0.5 tbsp oil
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp oregano
- 150g lasagne sheets
- 150ml creme fraiche
- 100ml milk
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- 20g grated parmesan
- optional: chopped parsley
- Chop the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and courgette into very small pieces.
- Add to a large frying pan with the oil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken mince and fry a further 3-4 minutes until it has all turned white.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, ketchup and oregano, mix well and bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, add this lasagne mixture to an oven dish, layering with the lasagne sheets.
- Make sure you finish with a final layer of lasagne sheets on top.
- Mix the creme fraiche and milk together in a jug and pour this over the top.
- Finally add the grated cheddar and grated parmesan.
- Bake the lasagne at 180c for 25 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- This is optional but once cooked you can add some chopped parsley to the top.
- Cut into 6 portions and serve immediately.
Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven until piping hot.
This lasagne can also be frozen. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or oven until piping hot.