A quick and tasty vegetarian pie, perfect for a mid-week meatless dinner (adapted from a BBC Good Food Magazine recipe).
This is a really easy dish to prepare for a mid-week meal yet impressive enough to serve if you have people round. Just a word of warning though – I think this pie is a bit of an acquired taste.
If like me you love spinach, then you’ll probably enjoy it but my fussy eaters were not big fans and it took a lot of persuasion to get the little fussy eater to eat just a few bites. Oh well…you win some you lose some!
I will definitely be making this again but for a more appreciative audience the next time!
If you try my Florentine Pie recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. I always love to see your creations!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like:
Hidden Veggie Sausage Rolls – Delicious kid friendly sausage rolls packed with carrot and courgette. Everyone will love these Hidden Veggie Sausage Rolls!Print
A quick and tasty vegetarian pie, perfect for a mid-week meatless dinner (adapted from a BBC Good Food Magazine recipe)
- 320g puff pastry sheet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g fresh spinach
- 250g ricotta
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- grating of nutmeg
- 4 medium eggs
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Lay the pastry on a baking sheet and pinch around the edges to create a ridge. Prick the bottom of the pasty with a fork and bake for 10-12 minutes until the pasty is light brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Drain the spinach and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with the ricotta, parmesan, garlic and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and gently press it down if it has puffed up too much. Spoon on the spinach mixture and create four spaces for the eggs. Crack the eggs carefully into each space.
- Return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes until the egg is cooked.