A super easy slow cooker ragu recipe. Makes a great family meal that everyone will enjoy!
You must all know by now that I’m not one to spend hours in the kitchen. Although I enjoy leisurely cooking when I have the time (rare at the moment!) most days I am scrambling to get dinner on the table before the kids are too tired to eat. Quick and easy family meals are what I am striving for this winter and my secret weapon to achieve this is my beloved slow cooker!
This ragu recipe is to easy; simply throw the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning and later that day you will have a delicious and hearty meal. You can use pretty much any cut of beef that you want. The cheaper the better in my opinion for slow cooking! If you prefer to fry the meat before putting it in the slow cooker you can do that, but I don’t think it makes a difference to the taste.
For an extra special touch add my one secret ingredient…. parmesan rinds! You know the ends of the block of parmesan that usually end up lingering in the back of your fridge. Never throw them out; that’s an order! Keep them in the fridge or freezer and add them to the ragu. There are so many delicious flavours in there that will melt into the sauce. It’s well worth a try!
- 600g diced beef (can be any cut)
- 390g (1 tin or carton) of chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 80ml liquid (can be water or red wine or a mixture of both)
- optional: parmesan rinds
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- In the last few minutes of cooking press down on the meat with a fork or masher and the meat will fall apart and mix with the sauce. Add more water if required at this stage.
- Remove the parmesan rinds before serving.
- Serve with pasta and veggies.