Sneak some veggies into your kids meal with this delicious Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe. Great for toddlers and baby weaning too!
If there’s one thing I love about this time of year it has to be the fact that it’s squash season! So carby and comforting, butternut squash is definitely up there in my top favourite vegetables. My kids unfortunately are not as big fans of the stuff but I’ve found a way to cleverly sneak it into their diet.
Butternut squash is an excellent source of Vitamin A, vital for healthy skin and eyes. It is also a good source of Vitamin C and fibre too, making it a really great food to include in your family’s diet.
One thing that often puts people off cooking butternut squash is the preparation. Peeling and chopping a squash is hard work but for this recipe I have a super easy method that requires just cutting it once lengthways.
Now I know I have called this recipe Mac and Cheese but I haven’t actually used macaroni! I used conchigliette pasta as that was all I had! My toddler also has a habit of stuffing loads of pasta into his mouth and the small pieces of conchigliette make eating a little easier. Its also a great pasta to use for baby weaning too.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 200g / 2 cups macaroni or conchigliette pasta
- 200ml / 7oz whole milk
- 100g / 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 390f.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds and place the two halves of squash flesh side up on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft and has fully cooked through.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Once the squash has cooked, spoon out the flesh straight into a blender or food processor. Add the milk, cheese and butter and blitz until all the ingredients have combined to a sauce consistency. If it seems too thick then add a little extra milk. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.
- Drain the pasta and mix it with the butternut squash sauce.
- Serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe you might like:
* Disclosure: My Fussy Eater is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com