Sneak some veggies into your kids meal with this delicious Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe. Great for toddlers and baby weaning too!
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 200g / 2 cups macaroni or conchigliette pasta
- 200ml / 7oz whole milk
- 100g / 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 390f.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds and place the two halves of squash flesh side up on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft and has fully cooked through.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Once the squash has cooked, spoon out the flesh straight into a blender or food processor. Add the milk, cheese and butter and blitz until all the ingredients have combined to a sauce consistency. If it seems too thick then add a little extra milk. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.
- Drain the pasta and mix it with the butternut squash sauce.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe made more sauce than I needed for the pasta. It can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen in a container or freezer bag.