These delicious little tots are packed with potato and butternut squash and make the perfect finger food for weaning babies and toddlers!
Is anyone else on a mission to get their kids to eat lots more fruit and veg this January? After a chocolate filled Christmas I’m trying to cut back on the junk my two are consuming and up their intake of fresh produce instead.
Last week I had half a butternut squash lurking in the fridge and some random potatoes starting to look a little neglected in the veg bowl and so I decided to make these little cheesy tots rather than let the veggies go to waste. I mashed the cooked potato and butternut squash together with some cheese, flour (to help bind them), garlic and herbs and then rolled them in dried breadcrumbs.
I then fried the tots which made them lovely and golden and crispy on the outside. I did try baking a few too, just to see how they turned out. They were ok, but definitely not as nice as the fried version.
The tots went down a treat with the kids. I served them as a snack but they would make a great addition to a main meal aswell, or even popped into a lunchbox the next day! They also make a really great finger food idea for toddlers and weaning babies (suitable for 1 year) as they easy to hold and very soft to chew.
I’m definitely going to try making some more versions of these veggie tots soon… I’m thinking maybe a carrot version but let me know your thoughts!
- 250g white potato, peeled
- 250g butternut squash, peeled
- 40g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1.5 tbsp plain flour
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 25g dried breadcrumbs
- Chop the potato and butternut squash into bite sized pieces. Place them in a large saucepan, cover with boiling water and cook for approx 10 minutes until soft.
- Drain the vegetables completely and return them to the saucepan. Mash with a hand masher and then add the cheese, flour, garlic and herbs and mix well. At this point you can season with salt and pepper if you wish.
- Transfer the mash onto a plate and allow it to cool a little before shaping into small tots or nuggets, before rolling in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the tots for 3-4 minutes on either side until golden and crispy.
If you liked this recipe you may also enjoy: