A super tasty and healthy Chocolate Granola Bar packed with oats, puffed quinoa, nuts and seeds. Great for snacks or for lunch boxes too!
I’ve spoken so many times about kids and snacks and my own struggle with keeping a constant supply of healthy snacks on hand to feed them. My children really do eat quite a lot and if I don’t feed them very filling snacks then they will just keep coming back asking for more!
I made these Chocolate Quinoa Granola Bars as I kept seeing puffed quinoa in so many places and I wanted to try it out for myself. Puffed or popped quinoa can be really expensive to buy but its so easy to make it yourself at home by dry-frying it in a large pan on the hob.
To make these granola bars really filling I also added rolled oats along with peanut butter, honey and coconut oil to bind it all together. For a nutritional boost I added mixed seeds, flaked almonds, chia seeds and ground flaxseed and finally some chocolate chips to keep them kid-friendly!
The toppings of melted chocolate and some freeze dried raspberries are totally optional but they do add a lovely finish to the bars.
For the full recipe, check out my video or the written instructions below and don’t forget to subscribe to my You Tube Channel to stay up to date on all my videos! And if you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures!
- 100g quinoa (raw)
- 125g peanut butter
- 100g honey
- 50g coconut oil
- 125g rolled oats
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- To top: 25g chocolate, melted and ½ tbsp freeze dried raspberries
- Add the quinoa to a large dish or saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. You will hear the quinoa “pop”. Cook until its just starting to brown. Remove from the dish and place aside in a bowl or on a plate.
- In the same dish add the peanut butter, honey and coconut oil and cook for a couple of minutes until melted and then remove from the heat.
- Add in the quinoa, oats, seeds, flaked almonds, chia seeds, ground flaxseed and chocolate chips. Mix well until everything is well combined.
- Line a 9in square baking dish with parchment paper and pour in the mixture. Press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until its starting to crisp.
- Leave it to cool a little before removing from the tin and then allowing it to cool completely. Ideally, also chill it. This will stop it falling apart.
- Cut into 8 large bars (or 16 small) and top with a little drizzle of melted chocolate and some freeze dried raspberries.
If you liked this recipe you might also enjoy: