An easy no bake recipe for gluten free energy bites made with oats, nut butter and chia seeds.
My oh my today’s recipe is something special! I don’t want to blow my own trumpet but I have to say I am very proud of this concoction. After an indulgent Christmas break snacking on all the wrong things I wanted to come up with a quick and easy snack that would stop me reaching for those leftover chocolate coins… and so the No Bake Chia Energy Bite was born!
These bites are ridiculously easy to make. As the title states they require no baking. Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl, chill for a few minutes in the fridge and then drizzle with a little melted chocolate.
They will keep in the fridge for several days and are so versatile. Take a couple to work as a snack to beat that mid-afternoon slump… pop a few into your gym bag as a post-workout snack… put one into the kids’ lunch box as a healthy treat… you can even eat them as a grab-and-go breakfast on busy mornings.
Not only do these little bites of heaven taste amazing, they are also super healthy too. The oats, nut butter and chia seeds provide a natural slow releasing energy boost with lots of protein to keep you full until your next meal. I used a mix of peanut butter and cashew nut butter in my recipe but you could also use almond butter or hazelnut butter, depending on your preference.
If you wanted a nut free alternative, you could always trying using Sunflower Butter which is really easy to make yourself. See how here:
You can also add some additional ingredients such as raisins, other dried fruit or chocolate chips. I opted for a drizzle of dark chocolate to keep them healthy yet very tempting!
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Please do let me know if you try this recipe. I would love some feedback! You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!
PRE-ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out 26th January. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!Print
An easy no bake recipe for gluten free Energy Bites made with oats, nut butter and chia seeds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup nut butter (I used a mixture of peanut and cashew)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- To decorate: 20g dark chocolate
- Mix the oats, nut butter, honey, coconut, chia seeds and vanilla extract together in a bowl until fully combined.
- Roll the mixture into equal size bites. I made 15 bites from my mixture but you can make more or less depending on what size you want them to be. Place the bites in the fridge to firm up.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler (just be sure not to burn it!). Drizzle the chocolate onto the bites and return them to the fridge for another couple of minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you liked this recipe you may also like these Chocolate Chip Energy Bites: