So easy to make and super healthy, these Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats honestly taste like strawberry ice cream and are sure to be a hit with the kids!
If you are a regular reader on my blog then you know I am possibly the biggest overnight oats fan out there! I am forever concocting new flavours for this simple and delicious breakfast but I have to refrain myself from posting them all here as I don’t want to bore everyone with oats!
So far I’ve shared this Cocoa Banana Overnight Oats recipe and also a recipe for Orange, Coconut & Vanilla Overnight Oats. Now that the sun has finally come out I wanted to create a more summery oats recipe as so the Strawberry Shortcake version was born!
First up a little confession; this recipe doesn’t actually contain any shortcake. But honestly you will not miss it because these oats taste exactly like strawberry shortcake ice cream. It’s incredible!
But unlike ice cream, this is a really fantastic well balanced breakfast to feed the whole family. It contains a good amount of fat and protein to fill everyone up (go for full fat greek yogurt for the most protein and fat) and the slow-releasing carbs will keep you full until lunchtime.
You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe, depending on when they are in season where you live. Frozen strawberries are usually a little cheaper and also when you dunk them into hot water to defrost them, they become quite mushy, which means they soak into the oats a lot easier.
- 12 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups milk
- 0.5 cups greek or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- optional toppings: chopped fresh strawberries and dessicated coconut
- Chop the strawberries into small pieces. If you are using frozen strawberries defrost them quickly by placing them in a bowl of boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Place the chopped strawberries in a bowl and mix in all the other ingredients. Stir well, cover the bowl and place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- When you are ready to eat them, simply remove from the fridge and decorate with your choice of toppings. The oats can be eaten cold or else heated in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Cocoa Banana Overnight Oats
This recipe was originally published on 9th April 2015 and was re-published on 21st April 2016 to include new images and a video. However, the recipe has not been altered in any way.