Delicious and healthy, this easy Overnight Oats recipe with orange, coconut and vanilla is sure to put a spring in your step in the morning!
We are massive overnight oats fans in my house. Every since I started making this Cocoa Banana Overnight Oats last year my fussy eater asks for it at least once a week. And it seems like we’re not that only ones loving it as it was my top most viewed recipe in 2014! I’ve had a few requests for some more overnight oats recipe so here’s my latest concoction… Orange, Coconut & Vanilla!
If you are new to overnight oats then I really urge you to give them a try. As with most people, mornings tend to be pretty hectic here and it really takes some of the stress away knowing that breakfast is already prepared and ready to go. And they don’t require lots of prep the night before either. The ingredients can literally be thrown together in a couple of minutes. If the thought of cold oats in winter is unappealing then don’t worry, they can easily be warmed up in the microwave.
- My measurements are in cups simply because there’s no need for exact precision with overnight oats. The basic recipe is 1 part oats to 1 part liquid. You can alter the milk/yogurt ratio to your liking. Use any cup or mug you wish, as long as you measure both the oats and liquid with the same mug.
- For a vegan version, swap the milk and yogurt for 2 cups of coconut milk.
- The recipe calls for rolled oats which is your basic packet of oats or porridge that you’ll find in a supermaket or shop. I haven’t tried this recipe with steel cut oats or those packet of instant oats so I cannot tell you if those would work just as well.
- You don’t have to finish your oats off with toppings but I find something slightly crunchy like nuts or maybe some chopped fruit really compliments the soft oats.
Health wise these overnight oats make a great breakfast for adults and kids alike. The carbs in the oats are slow releasing, providing sustained energy throughout the morning while the fats and protein will help keep you full (I always use full fat milk and yogurt).
So have I convinced you to give them a try yet?Print
Delicious and healthy, this easy Overnight Oats recipe, with orange, coconut and vanilla, is sure to put a spring in your step in the morning!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 0.5 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest and juice of 1 clementine or mandarin
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or jar and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to tuck in, remove from the fridge and top the oats with any toppings of your choice. The oats can be eaten cold or warmed in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds.
- The oats will keep in the fridge covered for 2-3 days.
For a vegan version replace the milk and yogurt with 2 cups of coconut milk.
If you like your oats a little sweet add some honey or maple syrup either before refrigerating or when you serve.
If you like this recipe you may also like: