A delicious low sugar chocolate cake made extra healthy with hidden sweet potatoes! A great way to get some extra veggies into kids!
- 200g (1 cup) mashed sweet potato (room temperature)
- 100g (1/2 cup) apple sauce
- 80ml (1/3 cup) melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) wholemeal flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 25g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g (1/4 cup) chocolate chips
- To serve: greek yogurt, raspberries, blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f. Grease and line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the mashed sweet potato, apple sauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a second larger bowl add the plain and wholemeal flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all the ingredients have combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan and bake in the oven for 20 -25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with greek yogurt and berries.