Warming and fruity these spiced pear breakfast muffins are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free
- For the pear puree:
- 3 ripe pears
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the muffin mix:
- 150g oats (use certified gluten free if necessary)
- 50g coconut flour
- 50g almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 1 tsp baking powder (use certified gluten free if necessary)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- For the topping:
- 1 tsp oats
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Peel the pears and chop them into bite sized pieces. Place them in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 4-6 minutes. As the pears begin to break down mash them with a potato masher until they reach a puree consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey and vanilla extract and set aside for the moment.
- Blitz the oats in a food processor for a few seconds to grind them into a finer consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder and spice mix. Mix well before adding the beaten eggs. Mix again and then add the pear puree.
- Once all the mixture has been fully combined spoon it into the muffin cases. These muffins won’t rise like normal muffins so build the mixture up high if you want large muffins!
- Sprinkle the remaining oats and coconut sugar on top of the muffins and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. These muffins will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.