If you are trying to cut down on the amount of meat you are eating this Red Lentil Bolognese make the perfect vegetarian meal.
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 120g / 3/4 cup dried red lentils (the kind that don’t need to be pre-soaked)
- 400g / 140z tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 600ml / 2.5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tsp chopped fresh herbs – I used rosemary, thyme, oregano and tarragon
- 10 cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- a little fresh basil and grated vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until it starts to soften and then add the garlic, carrot and celery. Fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, stock and herbs and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately with cooked spaghetti or other pasta and garnish with some fresh basil and some grated Italian-style hard cheese.