A delicious sweet and sticky baked ham recipe with a tasty marmalade glaze
- 3–4kg ham
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 black peppercorns
- 1 bouquet garni
- handful of fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme
- 2 lemons or oranges
- 1/2 jar of marmalade
- Place the ham in a large, snug fitting pot.
- Roughly chop and throw in the carrots and celery, along with the bay leaves, peppercorns, bouquet garni and fresh herbs.
- Peel the zest from the lemons or oranges, then squeeze the juice in.
- Cover with water, place the pot on a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and leave for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pot (you can leave it to cool for 30 minutes if you have time) and transfer it onto a foil lined baking dish.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the skin. Score the fat and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the ham into the oven (200c) and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover the fat with the marmalade.
- Return to the oven for 1 hour, basting regularly.
- Serve with roasted new potatoes (roast for 20-30 minutes, skin on) and a large bowl of salad.