Homemade Healthy Chicken Nuggets & Chips
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 500g / 17 oz baking potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 80g / 3 oz ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f. Grease two baking trays or dishes, each with 1/2 tbsp of oil.
- Wash the potatoes well. You can peel them if you want but I leave the skins on.
- Cut the potatoes into thin chips and then add to a large bowl of cold water.
- Leave to the side while you make the chicken nuggets.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Add the ground almonds to another bowl, along with the garlic powder. Season with a little salt and pepper and mix well.
- Take one piece of chicken, dip it in the egg and then coat in the almond mixture. Transfer into one of the greased dishes. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a tea towel.
- Add them to the other dish and toss well in the oil.
- Bake both in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the chips are browned and the chicken nuggets are cooked through.
This recipe will serve 2 adults or 3 children.
The chicken nuggets can be batch made and frozen. Make as usual but instead of cooking add them to a tray or plate in a single layer and freeze. Once hard transfer to a freezer container or bag and store for up to 2 months. Cook from frozen, adding approx 10 minutes extra to the cooking time.