A delicious and healthy nachos recipe made with sweet potatoes and topped with cheese, bacon, avocado and tomatoes!
- 1 large sweet potato (approx 500g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 50g / 2 oz cheese
- 100g / 3.5 oz bacon
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 420F and line some baking trays with parchment paper (I used three trays). Fill a large bowl with cold water.
- Wash and dry the sweet potato and, using a mandoline or a sharp knife, slice the sweet potato however thick or thin you would like them to be. Immediately dunk the slices into the bowl of cold water. This will help remove some of the starch and make the nachos more crispy.
- When the whole sweet potato has been sliced, drain the water from the bowl and pat the slices dry with kitchen paper. Add the olive oil and oregano and mix well.
- Transfer the sweet potato slices onto the lined baking tray. Don’t overcrowd the trays or stack the slices as this will prevent them from going crispy.
- I baked my slices in the oven for 12 minutes, turning once. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your slices so please do keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
- Whilst the slices are cooking prepare the rest of your ingredients. Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy, grate the cheese and chop the tomatoes, avocado and spring onion.
- When the sweet potato slices are cooked, transfer them all to a skillet or baking dish. Add the grated cheese cheese and crispy bacon and return to the oven for 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Top with the chopped tomatoes, avocado and spring onion and add the creme fraiche or sour cream to the top.
- Serve immediately.