Tasty Chocolate Orange Muffins, low in sugar and perfect for healthy snacks for kids. And you can freeze them too!
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g butter
- 175g plain yogurt
- 75g honey
- 1 medium egg
- zest & juice of 1 orange
- 50g chocolate chips plus 20g to top
- Preheat the oven to 180c fan.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to a large bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Add the butter to a jug and melt in the microwave.
- Add the yogurt, honey and egg to the melted butter, along with the zest and juice of the orange and stir well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just enough so that the ingredients are all well combined.
- Finally add 50g of chocolate chips and fold through.
- Divide the mixture between 12 muffin cases. I use silicone muffin cases so that they don’t stick. I also find it easiest to do this with an ice cream scoop.
- Top the muffins with the remaining 20g of chocolate chips.
- Bake in the oven for 22 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the cases.
These muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Because they don’t contain preservatives like shop bought muffins they will go a little dry and hard. I microwave them for about 10 seconds to soften them up before serving. They are also ideal for freezing. Add to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. They will defrost at room temperature in a couple of hours.