These Butternut Squash Fritters make a delicious and comforting lunch or dinner the whole family will love. They’re also a brilliant way to get some veggies into your picky eaters!
- 1 small butternut squash (200g / 2 cups grated squash)
- 100g / 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 100ml / 1/2 cup milk
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the butternut squash, chop it in half lengthways and remove the seeds. Grate the squash and weigh out 200g or 2 cups of it.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the eggs and milk and mix well.
- Stir in the grated butternut squash, spring onion, garlic and herbs and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add in a heaped tablespoon of the fritter batter. Press down gently with a spatula and repeat until the frying pan is full. I was able to cook 4 fritters at a time in my frying pan but it will depend on the size of yours. I made a total of 8 fritters from the batter.
- Fry the fritters on a medium heat for approximately 3-4 minutes on either side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with a little creme fraiche or greek yogurt for dipping.