The word “healthy” is so subjective. So what does it actually mean to me when it comes to feeding my family.
I’ve been mentally writing this post in my head for weeks now but it’s time I just got all my thoughts out in words, however coherent or not they might be! Recently I’ve been getting some push back from people on my blog, but especially on social media, about some of my recipes and meal ideas.
Overall I describe the kind of food I share as “Healthy Family Recipes” but when I post something that wouldn’t necessary be considered healthy, like a dessert or a treat, or when I use a product that’s maybe a bit processed, some people take issue with that.
So what does ” Healthy” actually mean?
Healthy really is so subjective. What’s healthy to one person can be completely unhealthy to another. A baked jacket potato to someone following a low fat diet is very healthy – potatoes are packed with energy, contain lots of fibre in the skin and of course are low in fat. But to someone following a low carb diet this is probably one of the worst things they could eat.
My approach to “healthy” is usually to follow the 80/20 rule when it comes to feeding my family. 80% of what I feed my kids is good wholesome food that will fill them up, nourish their bodies and help them grow. The other 20% is food that might be a bit more processed; convenience foods like fish fingers on busy day and treats like ice cream and cake.
That to me is healthy. It’s balanced and measured. I know my kids are getting the nutrients that they need, whilst also not demonising any particular foods. I understand that some parents want to go down the 100% “healthy” route and that’s completely fine. I have no issue with that and fully support your decision. But at the same time please be mindful that this is the way that I (and probably most of my followers) have chosen to feed my kids.
I always want to be honest with you, hence why I share all kinds of food ideas on my social media – cook from scratch recipes and but also fish finger dinners and other processed or treat foods. If I was to only show you the 100% home-cooked food that my kids eat it would feel completely dishonest.
My blog and social media was never intended to be aspirational. I want it to be an honest and real account of feeding a family, with tasty recipes for days when you have time to cook, and quick throw-together meals for days that you don’t.