A tasty and healthy family meal, perfect to whip up during the week or even at the weekend as an alternative to your usual takeaway.
- 300g wholewheat noodles
- 5cm piece of ginger
- 3 fresh red chillies
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 3 limes
- 150g mushrooms
- 1 large carrot
- ½ head of broccoli
- 150g sugarsnap peas
- 50g unsalted cashew nuts
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 large free-range eggs
- hot chilli sauce, to serve (optional)
- Cook the noodles in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, then drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger, and finely chop one of the chillies (deseed if you like). Trim and finely slice the spring onions, reserving the green tops. Peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Mix the ginger and chopped chilli with the soy sauce, then grate in the zest of 1 lime and squeeze in the juice.
- Tear the mushrooms, scrub and shred the carrot, and chop the broccoli into small florets. Slice the sugarsnaps in half lengthways at an angle.
- Place a large frying pan or wok on a high heat, throw in the cashews and toast for 2 mins or until golden, then tip into a pestle and mortar and bash until fine.
- Place the pan back on the heat, add the mushrooms and dry-fry for 3 mins. Drizzle in 1 tsp oil, add the garlic and spring onions, then stir-fry for 1 min or until lightly golden.
- Add the remaining prepped vegetables and toss over the heat for 2 mins or until slightly softened but still with a bit of bite.
- Pour over the soy sauce mixture, then add the noodles and toss together for 1-2 mins or until piping hot. Scatter over half the cashews and toss again.
- Place another frying pan over a medium-high heat. Finely slice the remaining chillies and scatter into the pan with 1 tsp oil. After 1 min, add the remaining nuts and crack the eggs on top. Fry for 2-3 mins or until cooked to your liking. Finely grate over the zest of another lime.
- Serve the noodles in bowls and top each with a fried egg, the reserved spring onion tops and some hot chilli sauce, if you like. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for squeezing over.