A simple but delicious pasta sauce made with tinned tomatoes, basil and mascarpone. Perfect for a quick and easy mid-week family meal
Mascarpone is one of those ingredients that I love eating (anything that’s in the cream or cheese category is ok with me!) but rarely use it in an actual recipe.
I remember eating a lot of Tomato & Mascarpone Pasta Sauces from those supermarket pots when I was younger so I thought I’d have a go at making my own homemade version.
Tomato & Mascarpone Sauce Ingredients
The ingredients are really very simple. For the sauce I used:
- Tinned Tomatoes
- Vegetable Stock
- Balsamic Vinegar (helps to give a lovely depth of flavour to the tomatoes)
- Dried Basil (could use oregano instead)
- Mascarpone Cheese
All of the ingredients except for the mascarpone are put into a saucepan, brought to the boil and then simmered on low for 15 minutes.
Whilst the sauce is cooking, get the pasta cooking in another saucepan.
When the sauce is ready, remove it from the heat and mix in the mascarpone until completely melted. Then stir into the drained cooked pasta.
So quick and easy but super tasty!
Storing & Freezing
If you don’t intend to eat all the sauce at once then it can be stored in a sealed jar or covered bowl in the fridge for up to 2 days.
It can also be frozen and defrosted overnight in the fridge.
If you try my recipe please do leave a comment below and share your pictures with me on on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
A simple but delicious pasta sauce made with tinned tomatoes, oregano and mascarpone. Perfect for a quick and easy mid-week family meal
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 350g pasta
- 150g mascarpone cheese
- Add the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar and dried basil to a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime cook the pasta according to the package instructions in another saucepan.
- Once the sauce is ready, remove from the heat and mix in the mascarpone cheese until completely melted.
- Drain the pasta and mix in with the tomato and mascarpone sauce.
- Serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe you may also enjoy: