Delicious freshly made steamed buns with a sweet and sticky BBQ chicken sauce made with California Prunes
For the buns:
- 400g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml milk
For the chicken:
- 100ml California Prune Juice
- 30ml soy sauce
- 6 chopped California prunes
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 lime
- 3 chicken breasts
- sesame seeds
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast into a large bowl. Add in the oil and milk and mix the dough until it comes together in a ball.
- Transfer onto a clean work top and knead for 10 minutes until smooth (or you can use a bread mixer).
- Place the dough back into the bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour to double in size.
- Meanwhile to make the sauce pour the California prune juice into a sauce pan with the soy, chopped prunes, Chinese 5 spice and ketchup. Bring the sauce up to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until it reduces by half its volume. Remove from the heat and squeeze in the lime juice.
- Add the chicken breasts to a baking dish and cover them in the BBQ prune sauce.
- When the dough has proved and doubled in size scoop it out onto a clean work top. Dust the dough lightly with plain flour and roll out to 2cm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter cut out as many rounds as possible, you should get approximately 12-14 circles.
- Brush half the circles of dough with a little oil and fold over to create a semi circle. Transfer the dough onto a lined baking tray and leave to prove for 30 minutes to double in size. Spray plenty of water over the buns and loosely cover with foil making sure the foil does not touch the bread.
- Place the buns into a pre heated oven 180c for 20 minutes, along with the chicken in the other dish.
- Whilst the buns and chicken are cooking peel the carrots and cut them, along with the cucumber into long strips. Prepare a small bowl with some sesame seeds.
- Once cooked, remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Remove the chicken and using a sharp knife cut it into thin strips.
- Serve everything in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves and build their own Sticky BBQ Chicken Steamed Buns!