Warming and fruity these spiced pear breakfast muffins are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
Lately it seems like I’ve been stuck in a bit of a breakfast rut.
We have been alternating between oats and eggs in some format or another for weeks.
But now that the cold weather has set in for the winter, it’s time to expand my winter breakfast repertoire. I wanted to create some warming recipes that are worth getting out of bed for.
Breakfast muffins are always a big hit in my house. They look like cakes so my fussy eater thinks she’s getting a treat. But I can load them with lots of healthy ingredients. It’s a win win situation!
These muffins are gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.
They are made from a mixture of oats, coconut flour and almond flour, sweetened with honey and a little coconut sugar on top. The pears have been mashed into puree form so no bits for your fussy eaters to pick out!
The mixed spice works really well with the pear and gives it a lovely wintery taste. I kept the spice levels quite mild to appeal to little taste buds but you can add as much as you like.
If you want to make your own spice mix it’s just a blend of ground cinnamon, ground coriander, caraway, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
A Note & Storage Instructions!
I mention in the recipe below that these muffins won’t rise like normal muffins that contain flour. So if you like your muffins big and high, make sure to build up the mixture when you are putting it into the cases.
And if you don’t have any pears to hand, don’t worry, these will work well with apples too.
The muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days so you can make them ahead and simply serve up for a delicious and quick breakfast on busy mornings. If you prefer them warm, a few seconds in the microwave should do the trick.
If you liked my Breakfast Muffins recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!
ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out now. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!Print
Warming and fruity these spiced pear breakfast muffins are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free
- For the pear puree:
- 3 ripe pears
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For the muffin mix:
- 150g oats (use certified gluten free if necessary)
- 50g coconut flour
- 50g almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 1 tsp baking powder (use certified gluten free if necessary)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- For the topping:
- 1 tsp oats
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Peel the pears and chop them into bite sized pieces. Place them in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 4-6 minutes. As the pears begin to break down mash them with a potato masher until they reach a puree consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey and vanilla extract and set aside for the moment.
- Blitz the oats in a food processor for a few seconds to grind them into a finer consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder and spice mix. Mix well before adding the beaten eggs. Mix again and then add the pear puree.
- Once all the mixture has been fully combined spoon it into the muffin cases. These muffins won’t rise like normal muffins so build the mixture up high if you want large muffins!
- Sprinkle the remaining oats and coconut sugar on top of the muffins and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. These muffins will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.