Using Elmlea or another cream substitute helps lower the calories and fat in this classic Italian pasta dish.
- 400g spaghetti
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers of bacon, chopped (I use bacon medallions which are already trimmed of all the fat)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100g Elmlea double light (or other cream substitute)
- 50g parmesan cheese, finely grated (plus extra to garnish)
- chopped chives to garnish
- pepper to season
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile fry the bacon in olive oil until it starts to crisp. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks, cream/cream alternative and parmesan in a bowl. Season with a pinch of pepper.
- Drain the pasta and add the cream mixture, stirring well. Add the bacon.
- Garnish with the chives and a little extra parmesan.