An easy but super delicious recipe for spaghetti bolognese, packed with lots of vegetables and a great dish to get kids in the kitchen cooking.
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 75g smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml beef stock
- 100ml red wine (or more stock)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Add the oil and bacon to a large frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and red pepper and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the veggies start to soften.
- Add the mince and use a wooden spoon to break it up in the pan, frying until it has all browned.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, beef stock, wine, tomato puree and oregano and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a high simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and soft.
- Serve with spaghetti and top with some grated cheese.
Leftovers can be cooled and kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen and defrosted in the fridge overnight.