Crunchy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside, these Soda Bread Scones are delicious spread with butter and served with my Easy Irish Stew! They also taste great the next day with jam for breakfast.
- 150g plain flour
- 120g wholemeal bread flour
- 50g oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 50g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the plain flour, wholemeal flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a spoon.
- Add in the cold cubed butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture, pour in the buttermilk and crack in the egg. Mix the buttermilk and egg together quickly with a fork and then using a wooden spoon gradually mix in the flour mixture until everything is well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 lumps, adding 4 to each tray.
- With your hands mould each into a round shape and press down on the top with your hand to make them flat.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes and then transfer onto a cooling rack for a few minutes.
- These are best eaten warm and can also be re-heated in the oven or microwave.