A rich but super simple Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce cooked in the slow cooker for a delicious flavour.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tins (400g each) / (14oz each) chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Chop the onion and garlic into small pieces and add them to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on High for 3 hours or Low for 5 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the bay leaves. Blitz the sauce with a hand blender. You can add a splash of water to the sauce to loosen it up a little.
- Serve immediately with cooked pasta.
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer in containers or bags for up to 3 months. To defrost either leave it out to defrost at room temperature for a few hours or heat it gently in a saucepan.
Don’t have a slow cooker? No problem. Add all the ingredients plus 300ml of water or vegetable stock to a saucepan and simmer on low on the hob for about 40 minutes. Then blend as above.