Did you know that you can cook Mac & Cheese in the slow cooker or crockpot? Super easy and so tasty too! Here’s my Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese Recipe!
Is there anything better than a big bowl of Mac & Cheese on a cold winter’s day? Mac & Cheese has to be my ultimate comfort food and this year I thought I’d try my hand at cooking it in the slow cooker.
At this time of year the slow cooker has to be one of my favourite and most used kitchen gadgets. We cook so many things in it – from a Beef Casserole to a Meatball Soup, a Tomato Pasta Sauce and even a full Christmas Ham!
I always feel too nervous to leave the house with the oven still on but for some reason the slow cooker just seems a bit safer.
I love the fact that I can throw a few ingredients in there and come home a few hours later to a hot meal that’s ready to eat!
Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
This winter I really wanted to try to make Mac & Cheese in my slow cooker. When I searched online most of the recipes were American and used a can of evaporated milk in the ingredients.
I know that this probably isn’t an ingredient that most UK families have in their store cupboard so I decided to experiment with my own recipe.
Most stovetop Mac & Cheese recipes also use flour to make the cheese sauce. I didn’t need to use any kind of flour or thickening agent in this recipe, making it completely gluten free if you use gluten free pasta.
I should mention that this recipe is very dairy heavy – using milk and three different types of cheeses! This will obviously make it high in calories and saturated fat but served no more than once a week with a side of veggies it can certainly form part of a very balanced diet for your family.
If you try this recipe yourself please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures and hearing your comments about the recipes.Print
Did you know that you can cook Mac & Cheese in the slow cooker or crockpot? Super easy and so tasty too!
- 800ml whole milk
- 1 medium egg
- 100g cream cheese
- 200g grated cheddar cheese
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs or oregano
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 400g macaroni or other dried pasta (normal or gluten free)
- Add the milk, egg and cream cheese to the slow cooker and whisk gently.
- Add in the cheddar, parmesan, paprika, garlic, mixed herbs and mustard and mix with a spoon.
- Finally stir in the macaroni and put on the lid.
- Cook on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the pasta is soft and the sauce is thick and creamy. Stir a few times to make sure the cheeses are evenly mixed.
- Serve immediately or keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.