A delicious and warming ragu recipe made with diced lamb leg and slow cooked for a rich and intense flavour. Perfect for feeding a crowd this Winter!
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 kg diced lamb leg (or lamb shoulder)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1.5 litres lamb stock
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or saucepan. Add in the diced lamb and fry for about 5 minutes until all the cubes are browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside in a bowl.
- Add in the onions and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and fry for another minute.
- Add back in the lamb along with 500ml of the stock, the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and chopped herbs.
- Bring to the boil, pop on a lid and simmer on low for 1 hour. Add more stock to the dish as and when it is needed, stirring regularly.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer on low for another 90 minutes, still adding more stock as needed.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately with cooked rigatoni pasta and green beans.
- Feel free to add a glass of red wine to the ingredients. It can be replaced for some of the stock.
- This recipe will also work in a slow cooker. You won’t need as much liquid though. Add about 200ml of stock to start with, adding more if needed.