Try this savoury twist on pancakes for brunch using homegrown British Salsify from Albert Bartlett
- 120g salsify
- 100g carrot
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 100ml milk
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Wash and peel the salsify and carrot, chop of the top and ends and then finely grate both of them.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, eggs and milk until there are no lumps.
- Add in the grated salsify and carrot, along with the spring onions, garlic and horseradish sauce.
- Mix well and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan and take a large spoonful of the pancake mixture to make one pancake, adding it to the frying pan.
- Repeat until you have 4 pancakes in the pan. Fry for approximately 3-4 minutes on either side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the pancakes and repeat the process with the remaining batter. You should be able to make 8 pancakes from this mixture.
- Serve immediately.