Delicious savoury flapjacks packed full of carrots, cheese, nuts and seeds. A really great healthy snack for kids!
One comment that I get a lot from parents is that they just don’t have the time to shop for, prepare and cook healthy food every day. As a busy mum to two young children I know exactly the kind of time constraints that mums and dads face when it comes to meal times.
Although I love cooking and spend a lot of time in the kitchen because of my work, when it comes to my own family meals, I don’t have a lot of time left over to prepare elaborate dishes and snacks. For me, batch preparation and batch cooking is the key to getting healthy meals and snacks into my kids most days.
This year I am an ambassador for Organix’s No Junk Journey and was really intrigued when they recently sent me a recipe for Savoury Flapjacks. I have only ever had sweet flapjacks before so I was really keen to try out their savoury version which is packed full of delicious cheese and nutritious carrots, nuts and seeds.
The flapjacks are absolutely delicious and my kids have been enjoying them as fantastic sugar free snack in the afternoons. But what I also love about this recipe is that it makes 18 portions. After snaffling a couple (ok… four!) of the flapjacks myself, I have packed the rest into the freezer to keep for busy days.
I particularly pleased to find this recipe as it can be difficult to come up with healthy snack ideas for kids that aren’t all sweet. Having a really tasty flapjack that’s packed with carrots has been a great way to explain to my kids that vegetables can be just as tasty as fruit. Organix also sent me a really great booklet showing what vegetables are in season throughout the year and it was great to read through it with my daughter and be able to explain to her was seasonal eating means.
Do you try to eat seasonally and do your kids take an interest in what fruits and vegetables are grown and eaten throughout the year? Comment below or tag me in your posts or recipe pictures on social media using the hashtag #NoJunkJourney. And if you try these fantastic Savoury Flapjacks let me know your thoughts!
A simple savoury flapjack recipe made with carrots, cheese, nuts and seeds!
- 300g / 3 cups porridge oats (rolled oats)
- 200g / 7 oz carrots
- 200g / 7 oz mature cheddar cheese
- 50g / 1/4 cup finely chopped sunflower or pumpkin seeds (can be completely crushed for young toddlers or babies)
- 50g / 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or cashews (can be completely crushed for young toddlers or babies)
- 4 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 200g / 7 oz butter
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Grease or line a 25x20cm tin.
- Put the oats into a large mixing bowl.
- Wash and top and tail and peel the carrots and then grate them into the mixing bowl.
- Grate the cheese and add this to the bowl.
- Add the seeds, nuts and herbs and mix well.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat but be careful to not let it burn. Pour the melted butter into the bowl over the other ingredients and stir well until everything is well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and press down with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden.
- Whilst the flapjacks are still warm cut them into 18 squares but leave them in the tin to cool completely. If you try to take them out of the tin while they are warm they will fall apart.
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST HAS BEEN PUBLISHED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ORGANIX AND I HAVE BEEN COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME INVOLVED IN THE CAMPAIGN. ALL VIEWS AND OPINIONS ARE HOWEVER MY OWN.