Sausage and Mash has to be the ultimate comfort food. Take this classic dish to the next level with my Onion Gravy recipe. So tasty, like a hug in a bowl!
- 0.5 tbsp oil
- 8 sausages
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml hot beef stock
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- optional: chopped parsley
- mashed potato
- Add the oil and sausages to a frying pan and cook on low for 15 minutes until the sausages are cooked through, turning regularly.
- Meanwhile slice the onion into thin rings.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and place them to one side in a bowl.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add the onions and garlic cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock a little at a time, mixing well so as to remove any lumps.
- Add the Worcester sauce and cook for 3 minutes until the gravy has thickened.
- Add the sausages back into the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are warmed through.
- This is optional but you can add a little chopped parsley to the top.
- Serve immediately with mashed potato and peas.
I used turkey sausages for this recipe but pork, chicken or veggie sausages will work too. Veggie sausages may need less frying time in Step 1 so check the cooking instructions on the packet.
Leftovers can be kept in a container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave or on the hob. This recipe can also be frozen in a freezer bag or container. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the hob.