A delicious and healthy snack of roasted chickpeas with garlic, herbs and parmesan.
When it comes to healthy eating and ditching processed foods, so far I’ve found breakfasts and main meals pretty easier to adapt.
But one area which I am still struggling with is snacks. In the past it has been all too easy to reach for a cookie or some crisps when I’m in a hurry.
Over the last couple of months I’ve been eating a lot more nuts and snacking on fruit too but it’s been on my mind that I need to come up with some more tasty, sugar-free snacks capable of enticing my fussy eater!
A couple of weeks ago I opened a can of chickpeas by accident (I thought they were tinned tomatoes!) and, refusing to let them go to waste, decided to try my hand at roasting them.
In my opinion the humble chickpea really doesn’t get enough credit. Think of chickpeas and you think hummus…falafals….and something to bulk out a vegetarian dinner.
But chickpeas are can be used in a whole variety of ways and make the perfect snack for kids.
Ditch the sugar-laden treats cause chickpeas are packed full of protein, fiber, iron and recent studies have shown that they can have a very positive effect on blood sugar regulation.
So we know chickpeas are fantastic little powerhouses of nutrition but lets face it, they are not the most appealing food for kids.
The trick is to make chickpeas more exciting with a flavour that your kids are already familiar with.
This Garlic, Herb & Parmesan coating went down well in my house but you could also try the following:
Savoury Flavour Combinations:
- salt and vinegar
- curry powder
- chilli sauce
- lemon and rosemary
- chinese spice
or sweeten them up a bit (use coconut oil instead of olive oil) with the following:
Sweet Flavour Combinations:
- honey and cinnamon
- maple syrup
- almond butter
- vanilla and coconut
The possibilities are endless if you get a bit creative with the flavours!
If you liked my roasted chickpeas recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
A delicious and healthy snack of chickpeas roasted with garlic, herbs and parmesan
- 1 can cooked chickpeas (240g drained weight)
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Drain the water from the chickpeas and place them between several layers of kitchen paper. Leave for 15 minutes, allowing as much moisture as possible to transfer onto the paper.
- Mix the oil, garlic and oregano together in a bowl. Add the parmesan and then season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chickpeas and stir until well combined.
- Spread the chickpeas onto the baking tray and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning 3 or 4 times.
- Allow the chickpeas to fully cool before removing from the tray. This will help to keep them crunchy and stop them going chewy. Store in an air-tight jar for 2-3 days.
If you like this recipe you might also like these Chickpea Nutella Cookies!