With just a few store cupboard essentials you can make these really tasty Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters. Great for kids, toddlers and weaning babies too!
How often do you find yourself staring blankly into your cupboards at 5pm, thinking “What on earth am I going to feed the kids for tea?” If you’re anything like me then probably several times a week!
On days like this I often turn to my trusty Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters recipe. They’re super easy to make, with simple ingredients that I always have to hand. Peas and sweetcorn are two veggies that I don’t have to battle with the kids to eat so I know these fritters are always going to go down well!
All you need to make these Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters are:
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Frozen Peas & Corn
- Spring onion
First up sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and then add the egg and milk and mix well.
Next, add the frozen peas and corn and the spring onions and mix again. That’s the prep done, how easy was that?!
To cook, simple add a spoonful of the mixture to an oiled frying pan. You should be able to fit four fritters in a pan at a time and make eight in total from the mixture.
Cook for 4-5 mins on either side and then serve. Delicious!
For lunch I serve these with some greek yogurt or creme fraiche for dipping. If we’re having them for dinner then they taste really good with a poached egg on top or even as a side dish.
Tips for making these Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters
1. The mixture will seem a little thick but don’t worry, that’s perfect for this recipe!
2. You can make the mixture a few hours ahead and keep it covered in the fridge. In this case you may need to add just a small splash of milk as it will have thickened up.
3. The cooked fritters will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Alternatively, they can be frozen by wrapping them individually in parchment paper and placing in a freezer bag. Defrost them before warming in the oven or microwave.
Substitutions you can make
1. The flour can easily be substituted to gluten free flour and the milk can be substituted for non-dairy milk.
2. I use frozen sweetcorn in my recipe but you can also use tinned sweetcorn.
3. If you’d like to add more flavour to these fritters you could add a small pinch of dried mixed herbs or oregano, or even a sprinkling of grated cheese.
If you try my Pea & Sweetcorn Fritter recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures!
With just a few store cupboard essentials you can make these really tasty Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters.
- 100g / 3/4 cup plain or all purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml / 1/2 cup milk
- 200g / 1 and 3/4 cups frozen sweetcorn and peas (or canned is fine too)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the eggs and milk and mix well.
- Stir in the peas, sweetcorn and spring onion and mix until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add in a heaped tablespoon of the fritter batter. Press down gently with a spatula and repeat until the frying pan is full. I was able to cook 4 fritters at a time in my frying pan but it will depend on the size of yours. I made a total of 8 fritters from the batter.
- Fry the fritters on a medium heat for approximately 4 – 5 minutes on either side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with a little creme fraiche or greek yogurt for dipping.
The cooked fritters will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Alternatively, they can be frozen by wrapping them individually in parchment paper and placing in a freezer bag. Defrost them before warming in the oven or microwave.
If you liked this recipe you might also like: