With just a few store cupboard essentials you can make these really tasty Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters. Great for kids, toddlers and weaning babies too!
How often do you find yourself staring blankly into your cupboards at 5pm, thinking “What on earth am I going to feed the kids for tea?” If you’re anything like me then probably several times a week!
On days like this I often turn to my trusty Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters recipe. They’re super easy to make, with simple ingredients that I always have to hand. Peas and sweetcorn are two veggies that I don’t have to battle with the kids to eat so I know these fritters are always going to go down well!
For lunch I serve these with some greek yogurt or creme fraiche for dipping. If we’re having them for tea then they taste really good with a poached egg on top.
These fritters are quite soft to eat and easy for little hand to pick up, so a great food to make for baby led weaning and toddlers too.
If you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. Or tag me in a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I’d love to see your pictures!Print
With just a few store cupboard essentials you can make these really tasty Pea & Sweetcorn Fritters.
- 100g / 3/4 cup plain or all purpose flour (can be gluten free)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml / 1/2 cup milk
- 200g / 1 and 3/4 cups frozen sweetcorn and peas (or canned is fine too)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the eggs and milk and mix well.
- Stir in the peas, sweetcorn and spring onion and mix until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add in a heaped tablespoon of the fritter batter. Press down gently with a spatula and repeat until the frying pan is full. I was able to cook 4 fritters at a time in my frying pan but it will depend on the size of yours. I made a total of 8 fritters from the batter.
- Fry the fritters on a medium heat for approximately 5 minutes on either side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with a little creme fraiche or greek yogurt for dipping.
The cooked fritters will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Alternatively, they can be frozen by wrapping them individually in parchment paper and placing in a freezer bag. Defrost them before warming in the oven or microwave.
If you liked this recipe you might also like: