Delicious chewy granola bars made with oats, rice krispies and seeds. Completely nut free and perfect to add to lunch boxes or as an afternoon snack
- 100g honey (or other liquid sweetener)
- 100g butter
- 25g brown sugar
- 50ml water
- 150g porridge oats
- 30g Rice Krispies
- 30g wholemeal flour
- 25g dried fruit (optional)
- 25g mixed seeds (optional)
- 10g desiccated coconut (optional)
- 75g chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a dish with parchment paper. I used an 8×8 inch dish.
- Add the honey and butter to a jug and microwave gently until the ingredients have melted. You can also do this in a pan on the hob. Add the sugar and water and mix until all dissolved.
- Add the oats, rice krispies, flour, dried fruit, seeds and coconut to a large bowl and mix. Pour in the the melted butter mixture and mix. Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer this mixture into the prepared dish. Take another piece of parchment paper and use that to push down firmly on the mixture. You need to make it as compact as possible in the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, leave to cool and then put it in the fridge or freezer for 1 hour. These steps are essential to stop the bars from falling apart.
- Remove from the fridge and lift the parchment paper out of the dish and cut into small bars.
- Keep in the fridge or freezer.
- It is essential to follow the steps as to cooling and refrigerating the bars to stop them from crumbling and falling apart.
- The bars can be stored in the fridge in a container for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month.