Have some fun with sausages and make these Monster Hot Dogs with a warm red cabbage slaw. Perfect for Halloween or Bonfire Night!
At this time of year hot dogs make the best party food. They are cheap, easy to make in bulk and always go down well with adults and kids alike. And my recipe for these super tasty Monster Hot Dogs with a delicious warm red cabbage slaw are sure to go down an absolute storm at your Halloween or Bonfire Night party!
Hot dogs often have a bit of a bad reputation but I’m using debbie & andrew’s Pork & Herb Chipolatas which contain 84% pork and are gluten, wheat and dairy free. The sausages can be cooked in the oven or fried on the hob. They can also been cooked on the bbq or even on a bonfire if you’re feeling brave!
I’ve also upgraded the traditional hot dog with a warm and autumnal red cabbage slaw. This delicious and lightly spiced slaw perfectly compliments the herb sausages. It also counts towards one of your five a day, so great for getting some veggies into your little monsters!
The monster eyes are of course optional but they really do make a fun addition to these hot dogs! I got mine from the Eats Amazing shop!
If you try this recipe please do let me know what you think. And tag me in a picture on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #myfussyeater. I love to see all your pictures!Print
Have some fun with sausages and make these Monster Hot Dogs with red cabbage slaw. Perfect for Halloween or Bonfire Night!
- 12 debbie & andrew’s Pork & Herb Chipolatas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 red cabbage, sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 12 hot dog bread rolls
- 1 head of lettuce
- mustard or ketchup to top
- Cook the sausages according to the package instructions, either on the hob or in the oven.
- Heat the oil in a large pan on the hob. Add the red onion and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until soft. Stir in the cumin.
- Add the red cabbage and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and the brown sugar, mix well and cook for another 3 minutes, again stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and allow the slaw to cool a little.
- Make the hot dog rolls by adding a layer of lettuce, a spoonful of the warm cabbage slaw, a chipolata sausage and then topping with mustard or ketchup.
- Serve immediately. Monster eye picks are optional!
DISCLOSURE: I have been compensated for my time spent working with debbie & andrew’s on this post but as always all thoughts and opinions are honest and are my own.