Have some fun with sausages and make these Monster Hot Dogs with a warm red cabbage slaw. Perfect for Halloween or Bonfire Night!
Hot dogs often have a bit of a bad reputation but I’m using debbie & andrew’s Pork & Herb Chipolatas which contain 84% pork and are gluten, wheat and dairy free.
The sausages can be cooked in the oven or fried on the hob. They can also been cooked on the bbq or even on a bonfire if you’re feeling brave!
The eyes are of course optional but they really do make a fun addition to these hot dogs! I got mine from the Eats Amazing shop!
ORDER my new book THE FUSS-FREE FAMILY COOKBOOK out now. 100 healthy easy and quick recipes that the whole family will enjoy!Print
Monster Hot Dogs
- Prep Time: 3 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Main Meal
- Cuisine: American
Have some fun with sausages and make these Monster Hot Dogs with red cabbage slaw. Perfect for Halloween or Bonfire Night!
- 12 debbie & andrew’s Pork & Herb Chipolatas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ red cabbage, sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 12 hot dog bread rolls
- 1 head of lettuce
- mustard or ketchup to top
- Cook the sausages according to the package instructions, either on the hob or in the oven.
- Heat the oil in a large pan on the hob. Add the red onion and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until soft. Stir in the cumin.
- Add the red cabbage and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and the brown sugar, mix well and cook for another 3 minutes, again stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and allow the slaw to cool a little.
- Make the hot dog rolls by adding a layer of lettuce, a spoonful of the warm cabbage slaw, a chipolata sausage and then topping with mustard or ketchup.
- Serve immediately. Monster eye picks are optional!
DISCLOSURE: I have been compensated for my time spent working with debbie & andrew’s on this post but as always all thoughts and opinions are honest and are my own.
If You enjoyed this recipe, you might also like:
We didn’t have the “eyes” but made these for dinner on Saturday night instead of getting takeaway and they were really really good!
HAH! I love these! So cute it’s almost scary. And those hot dogs look so darn good! I’m going to have to try them!
Ciara Attwell says
Thank you. I hope you enjoy them!