A kid-friendly mini toad in the hole recipe made with sausage meat and served with pureed peas.
If you are at home with the kids and feeling that lull between Christmas and New Year then I have just the thing to keep them entertained!
We usually tell our kids not to play with their food, but now it’s time to throw out those rules! Let’s get children excited about playing with and making food again!
Toca Kitchen App
I have been testing out the Toca Kitchen App with my fussy eater this week.
This child-friendly app lets you choose and prepare food for hungry characters. Kids can come up with their own recipes and test them out on the characters, even getting reactions to their concoctions!
To help transfer that excitement from the virtual world to the real life kitchen Toca Boca have created a series of playful recipes to encourage our mini chefs to get busy in the kitchen.
The end goal is not perfect dishes!
The idea is to inspire parents and kids to create dishes together that are all about play, inspiration and having fun.
Mini Toad In The Hole
So we decided to make our own fun in the kitchen and create a pond-inspired dinner for my fussy eater and her friends. We made Mini Toad in the Hole with Pond Algae Peas!
We had lots of fun mixing, shaping, moulding, stirring and pouring. I definitely notice a massive difference in my fussy eater’s attitude to her food when she has been involved in preparing and cooking it.
Playing with the Toca Kitchen App and then trying out her own recipe in the kitchen really inspired her (and me to be honest!) to think a bit more creatively when it comes to meal times. Food doesn’t always have to be boring and functional!
If you want to create your own Mini Toad in the Holes with Pond Algae Peas I’ve set out the recipe below. I used sausage meat in my recipe as I had some leftover from Christmas, but you can use cocktail sausages or normal sausages cut up.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Sausage & Tomato Skewers – Lunchbox Ideas – These Sausage & Cherry Tomato Skewers make a fun lunch idea for kids, perfect to pop into lunch boxes for school or work!
15 of The Best Finger Food Dinners For Kids – Our top 15 dinner recipes that can be served as finger food or eaten with your hands! Brilliant for picky eaters to create a more fun dinnertime experience.Print
A kid-friendly mini toad in the hole recipe made with sausage meat and served with pureed peas
- Mini Toad in the Hole:
- 6 tsp oil
- 400g sausage meat
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- 170ml milk
- 2 medium eggs
- pinch of salt
- Pond Algae Peas:
- 250g frozen peas
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Pour 1/2 tsp of oil into each of the holes of a 12 hole muffin tray. Divide the sausage meat into 12 equal pieces and roll into little balls, placing one ball in each of the tray holes. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl, making a well in the middle. Pour the milk into the well and crack in the eggs. Mix well with a hand whisk until it has formed a thick batter.
- Remove the tray from the oven and immediately pour the batter on top of the sausage meat, filling each of the holes 3/4 full with batter. Return to the oven for 12-15 minutes until the batter has risen and has turned a golden brown colour. Refrain from opening the oven lots at this point as that will stop the batter from rising!
- To make the Pond Algae Peas, place the frozen peas in a saucepan with the stock cube and boiling water. Simmer on the hob for 3-4 minutes until the peas are fully cooked. Drain the peas, keeping a small amount of the cooking liquid.
- Put the peas and a few spoonfuls of the cooking liquid in a blender and blitz until smooth. You can add a little more of the liquid if needed.
- Serve the mini toad in the hole with the pond algae peas to your hungry frogs!
*This post is sponsored by Toca Boca and Tots100