Delicious gluten and grain free pancakes made with buckwheat flour, coconut milk and banana. A no egg vegan friendly pancake recipe!
Despite its name, buckwheat is in fact gluten free.
It isn’t even classed as a grain as it’s actually a fruit seed related to rhubarb. Very random!
Milled into a flour, buckwheat makes a great alternative to white flour in baking.
Compared to refined wheat flour, buckwheat is very high in nutrients, is high in fibre and won’t send your blood sugar levels soaring. So regardless of whether you are avoiding avoid gluten or not, buckwheat really is worth a try.
Buckwheat flour does have quite a distinctive taste. I would happily enjoy plain buckwheat pancakes but for the kids I thought it would be better to mix it with some sweeter flavours.
Coconut and banana are perfect for this recipe as not only do they contribute to the flavour of the pancakes, they also help to naturally sweeten them. I used a whole banana in my recipe but if you are not a massive banana fan then just a half would be fine too.
I also used no eggs in this recipe as I know a lot of parents struggle to find good pancake recipes when they have children with an egg intolerance.
But to be honest you wouldn’t notice that it was missing at all. A little bit of baking powder helps the batter to rise slightly.
You may be wondering why I mixed the batter in a blender. The coconut milk that I buy is quite thick, more cream like, so I find it difficult to whisk the ingredients together with a hand whisk. Also the blender will completely dissolve the banana into the batter, leaving no lumps.
I made mini pancakes from this recipe but you could also make the bigger and thicker American style pancakes too, or even thin crepes. I topped mine with greek yogurt and frozen mixed berries defrosted in warm water (it’s so much cheaper to buy berries this way, plus the berries release some water into the yogurt, giving you a lovely red sauce!)
If you liked my Buckwheat Pancakes recipe, then please do leave me a comment and a star rating below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram. I always love to see your creations!Print
Delicious gluten and grain free pancakes, made with buckwheat flour, coconut milk and banana. A no egg vegan friendly pancake recipe!
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 200ml coconut milk
- 50ml milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients into a blender a blitz until it forms a smooth batter.
- Melt a small amount of butter or oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. A tablespoon of batter should be enough for each mini pancake and you should be able to fit 4 or 5 pancakes in the pan at a time. From the batter I made 24 pancakes.
- Fry the pancakes for approximately 2 minutes before flipping and cooking for a further 2 minutes on the other side. Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Serve with greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt / coconut cream for vegans), mixed berries and a drizzle of honey.