Delicious veggie nuggets packed with red lentils. These bite sized nuggets make brilliant finger food for kids and toddlers!
Does anyone else have chicken nugget obsessed kids? My children love chicken nuggets and would pretty much eat them every day of the week given a chance. So in an attempt to get them eating a healthier and more vegetable-packed alternative, I’ve been working on my own recipe for these Lentil & Veggie Nuggets.
Lots of veggie nugget recipes out there are made with mashed potato but I decided to use red lentils instead as the base as they provide a lot more nutrition. Red lentils are an excellent source of dietary fibre and are also a really good source of iron, protein and some B Vitamins.
To the lentils and vegetables, I also added some breadcrumbs to help bind everything together (bread can be gluten free if you like) and also some grated cheddar cheese for extra flavour.
The mixture makes about 15 largish nuggets (or more if you make them smaller). If you don’t want to cook them all at once you can freeze them on a plate or tray in a single layer and then transfer to a sealed freezer bag. Then cook them from frozen, adding an extra 5 minutes or so to the cooking time.
I now always have a batch of these nuggets in the freezer on hand for busy days. They make a great lunch served with some chopped carrot, cucumber and peppers on the side. Or for dinner they taste delicious with some homemade potato wedges and peas. Yum!Print
Delicious veggie nuggets packed with lentils. These bite sized nuggets make brilliant finger food for kids and toddlers!
- 150g (1 cup) dried red lentils
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small courgette, grated
- 75g (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 50g (1/2 cup) frozen peas and corn
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Soak the lentils in cold water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Blitz the bread in a food processor until it reaches a breadcrumb consistency. Tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl and put to one side.
- Drain the lentils well and add them to the food processor with the grated carrot and courgette. Blitz until all the lentils have broken down and the ingredients are well combined.
- Add in the breadcrumbs, grated cheese, frozen peas and corn and dried herbs and mix by hand.
- Form the mixture into approximately 15 golf ball sized balls. Place on the baking tray and flatten with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- Allow the nuggets to cool for 10 minutes on the tray before serving (this helps them to firm up).
- Serve straight away or keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 48 hours.
- The nuggets can also be frozen before cooking. Freeze in a single layer on a plate or tray and then transfer to a freezer bag. Bake from frozen adding an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time.