A delicious tomato pasta sauce made with red lentils and packed with protein and fibre. A great way to get some extra nutrition into a simple kids pasta dish!
- 1 kg / 35oz passata
- 150g / 5oz dried red lentils
- 600ml / 2.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the passata, lentils, vegetable stock and oregano to a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, cover loosely with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Use either a stick blender or stand blender to blitz the sauce until smooth.
- If the sauce seems a little too thick add some water until it reaches the right consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (skip this if serving to babies).
- Mix the sauce with cooked pasta and serve immediately.
- My recipe makes a big batch of the sauce so whatever is left over can be stored in a covered jar or container in the fridge for up to 3 days or transferred into freezer bags or containers and frozen for up to 3 months.
- To defrost leave in the fridge overnight or put the frozen sauce into a saucepan and gently heat until completely defrosted and warmed through.