How To Cook a Christmas Turkey in a Bag
Sponsored Post with Bakewell
If the thought of cooking Christmas dinner is getting you stressed then don’t worry; I have a really easy solution for cooking the juiciest and tastiest turkey along with a fool-proof recipe for all the veggies!
First up, the turkey! This is the one part of Christmas dinner that people often stress about. Cooking a big turkey for lots of people can be quite daunting.
It’s important to make sure it’s properly cooked but not over-cooked so that the meat dries out. Do you baste or not? Add stuffing to the cavity or leave that out?
There are so many variations but I’ve got the easiest ever solution using Bakewell Turkey Bags that will have you feeling like a top chef in the kitchen on Christmas Day!
Cooking The Christmas Turkey
Take a whole turkey and make sure any giblets have been removed from inside.
Brush with a little oil or melted butter
Add some flavouring to the skin. I sprinkled on garlic granules, paprika and oregano but you can use any kind of dried spices or herbs that you like.
Open the Turkey Bag into a large roasting dish and place the turkey inside it.
Use the tie to close the bag and the snip with a sissors. You can either just snip the side once or snip the top of the bag a few times.
Tuck the bag into the roasting dish as you don’t want it to touch the sides or top of the oven. Bake at 180c. The time will depend on the weight of your turkey but cooking it in the bag will help it to cook up to 10% quicker.
When ready, remove from the oven and cut open the bag with a scissors. Check the temperature of the meat in several places. It should be a least 74c.
The roasting dish will stay really clean (less washing up!) and you can use the juices for gravy.
Next up… the veggies. It’s lovely to have a selection of different veg to go along with your Christmas dinner. But cooking them all separately can be time consuming, not to mention a pain to wash up all those pots afterwards!
But I used a Bakewell Medium Bag and popped all my veggies in. I used:
- brussel sprouts
- sweet potato
- fresh rosemary and thyme
along with some oil and lemon juice and roasted in the oven alongside the turkey for 45 minutes.
When they’re cooked, simply remove from the bag and serve up in a bowl. Delicious, soft and perfectly cooked veggies!
Both the turkey and medium bags are fully recyclable so you can pop them into the recycling bin once you’re ready to clean up.
If you try my Turkey in a Bag recipe please do leave me a comment and a star rating below.
Disclosure: I have been compensated for my time spent working on these recipes with Bakewell but as always all thoughts and opinions are honest and are my own.Print
How To Cook a Christmas Turkey and Christmas Veggies in a Bag
- One whole turkey
- 1 tbsp oil or melted butter
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 carrots
- 300g brussel sprouts
- 2 parsnips
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 8 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Take a whole turkey, remove all packaging and make sure any giblets have been removed from inside.
- Brush with a little oil or melted butter and then sprinkle on the garlic granules, paprika and oregano and rub it into the skin with your fingers.
- Open the Bakewell Turkey Bag into a large tin and place the turkey inside it.
- Use the tie to close the bag and the snip with a sissors. You can either just snip the side once or snip the top of the bag a few times.
- Tuck the bag into the roasting dish as you don’t want it to touch the sides or top of the oven. Bake at 180c. The time will depend on the weight of your turkey but cooking it in the bag will help it to cook up to 10% quicker
- When ready, remove from the oven and cut open the bag with a scissors. Check the temperature of the meat in several places. It should be a least 74c.
- Allow to rest for about 30 minutes before carving.
- Prepare the veggies by peeling if necessary and chopping into large bite sized pieces. The shallots and garlic can stay whole.
- Pop all the veggies into a Medium Bakewell Bag, add the herbs, oil and lemon juice.
- Give the bag a good shake up so that all the veggies are coated then close with the supplied tie.
- Roast for 45 minutes and then remove. If serving immediately, then remove the veggies and transfer to a serving dish. Otherwise they can remain in the bag to keep them warm.